Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Time out

They have a thing at Duncan's school called Think Time. When one of the kids gets into (enough) trouble, they have to go to another classroom and, apparently, fill out a form about why they are in trouble and what they need to do to fix it. Duncan had two trips to Think Time last week for talking. I knew about these, though I never saw the forms. This morning as I was putting his lunch in his backpack I found a form from yesterday. This makes three Think Times in two weeks, when he's never had a Think Time the entire rest of the year (as far as I know). I think spring is having a detrimental influence on my son. We'll be talking about resisting that influence later today. However, this form is quite interesting. He had to write down what he had done wrong and which school rule it broke (respectful, responsible or ready), then how he plans to solve the problem.

The 'problem' he had was running. The 'rule' he broke was 'ready', as in "I was not READY to sit down."

I find that both hilarious and fascinating, and I can't help but wonder if most, if not all, rules we break fall under 'ready.'

"I was not ready to drive the speed limit." "I was not ready to pay for the car." "I was not ready to tell the truth." "I was not ready not to punch him in the face."

The possibilities are endless.

3 comments:

  1. He seriously wrote "I was not ready to sit down."? That is hilarious, and that is MY son.
    Somewhere, though, I think his school's 'enlightened' discipline policy has missed its mark. Almost it would be more funny if he had done it on purpose, in an attempt to be a smart aleck. But that's not what happened. I think their attempt to cram all offenses into three categories has fallen short with our boy, and he was just trying to figure out which magic keyword to use fulfill the requirements for a forced act of contrition.
    Dunc is, apparently, more of a one-on-one-let's-discuss-what-you-did kind of a kid, rather than a fill in a form kind.
    I'm not sure how he's going to handle college . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully there was no "Think time"s at College. I know I would have had plenty of them. Lots of "ready"s for me too. "I wasn't ready to study for my test any earlier than the night before", "I wasn't ready to spend 3 days in the library to research for my paper", and "I wasn't ready to go to bed, because I wanted to hang out with my boyfriend a little longer." I think Duncan will do fine in college. College is made for people like him, he will thrive in the independence. . . and party atmosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. From The Kid after she had earned some money and was faced with he reality of tithe paying. "I'm not ready for tithing yet."

    ReplyDelete