Monday, April 6, 2009

I have a theory...

I started reading Junie B. Jones to Jonathon and Duncan while I was pregnant with Kaes. Jonathon was going to be starting kindergarten and the books were about a little girl starting kindergarten and I thought they might be good books to help him know what to expect once he started school. I could not have been more wrong. Those books are not written for children at all. They are written for the parents. Matthew and I laughed our fool heads off, while the boys just listened with blank faces.

Then I had Kaes, and everything changed (in so many ways). Kaes is now in kindergarten and I am reading Junie B. Jones to her. Kaes loves them, though she still doesn't laugh nearly as much as I do. However, she is not as oblivious as her brothers were, either. Yesterday during our reading we came across this paragraph.

(Junie B. has gotten up while it is still dark outside because she is so excited to go to an Easter egg hunt later that day. She goes into her parents' room and her mom tells her to go back to bed.) "Yeah, only I don't think that's actually possible," I said."On account of my brain is already activated."

Kaes laughed heartily, thinking it was hilarious that Junie B. said her brain was activated. I realized that 'activated' is the perfect term for my daughter. Once she is activated (i.e. opens her eyes in the morning) there is no shutting her down.

Later, Junie B. is consulting with her elephant what she should wear that day. She tells her elephant, "Plus, good egg-hunting clothes should not be a dress, either. On account of sometimes-when I am beating people to an egg-I will have to tackle them and get in a scuffle."

Kaes, who was sitting on my lap, looked at me and said, "You can tackle in a dress."

She was not joking.

So here's my theory. I think Kaes was listening and taking notes while I was reading Junie B. Jones to her brothers seven years ago. I think she has channeled the essence of Junie B. Jones. And then I think she took it up a notch, where Barbara Park (the author) with all of her incredible imagination, never expected a six-year-old little girl to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment