Friday, March 4, 2011

You reap what you sow

Today is garbage day, so last night the boys were supposed to go through the house and dump all the garbage. Technically, Duncan is supposed to do it all himself, but somehow dumping all the trash and putting in new liners is just too much for him, so I told him he could ask his brother for help and if Jonathon said yes, then he would be in luck. I was trying to get the kids in bed and went into my room for something. My trash can was lying on its side, there were some pieces of trash scattered on the floor around it, and the 'liner' was on the floor on the other side of my bed. Definitely not lining my trash can. I made a growly noise and went into the boys' room, where I saw that their trash hadn't even been dumped at all.

"Duncan!" I yelled. "You son of a-"

And I stopped, because it is wrong for parents to say such things about their children. I STOPPED! I did not complete the sentence.

Then Jonathon, who was the only other person in the room, said, "Well, he's your-"

And he stopped. He did not finish the sentence, but seriously, we all know where he was going.

He had the decency to blush at that point, which is a big deal because blushing could be considered a 'reaction' and Jonathon doesn't do those very often.

So what am I supposed to do? Not talk like that? I DIDN'T! I swallowed that last word like a chameleon taking down a fly. It did not escape. Apparently, however, the fact that flies have ever buzzed around my head is enough for my kids to know what they sound like when they hear them coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment