Thursday, March 24, 2011

attitude

Prologue:

Tuesday morning Duncan was a bit crabby while I was taking him to school. I was trying to tease him out of it, which sometimes works, but not Tuesday. I finally asked him if he was having an attitude with me and he said, "Everybody has an attitude."

Tuesday afternoon:

A kid was pestering Duncan and his friend during recess. The kid was kicking them, and Duncan was trying to push him away with his elbow. Finally the kid left and the playground teacher came over to Duncan.

Playground teacher: I saw you kicking that boy.

Duncan: No you didn't.

PT: Yes, I did. You were kicking him.

D: Fine. Believe what you want to believe, but I wasn't kicking him.

PT: Are you having an attitude?

D: Yes.

PT: Do you want me to write you up?

D: Write me up if you want to, but I wasn't kicking him. He was kicking us.

PT: I'm going to go talk to the boy.

D: Go ahead.

At this point the playground teacher left. She did not write him up AND she did not go talk to the other boy.

When relating this story at home, yes, Duncan was mad that the playground teacher did not believe him. But you know what made him REALLY mad? The playground teacher didn't write him up, neither did she go talk to the other kid. She was useless, across the board. THAT is what he was the most upset about.

Sound familiar? If you have ever met my brother Aaron, then yes, it does, which is just thrilling for me. I love Aaron very much, but I already raised him once and I'm pretty sure I don't want to go through it again. He's all about attitude...

Footnote:

A couple weeks ago Duncan argued with an old lady who told him he couldn't play on her apartment complex's playground because he didn't live there. He told her people come on his yard all the time (which they don't) and it doesn't bother him (which it would if they did). I told him he can't argue with old ladies. He didn't believe me.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Such a cool kid!
    I cannot tell you how much I LOVE my Duncan. And yes, this is MY Duncan that you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yes, he is YOUR Duncan. He had to get the attitude from somewhere and it sure wasn't me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me like he's Aaron's Duncan....especially seeing as how you call him "Aaron!!" all the time.

    ReplyDelete