Tuesday, April 20, 2010

home improvements

The swatch of color that looks coral in the store is actually pink when painted in the bathroom. And it glows. Into the hallway.

However, washing walls is even better than painting them. It has the benefit of giving your home a new look, without the devastation of realizing that you bought the wrong color. And it doesn't cost nearly as much. And if you don't like the color you find under all the fingerprints, just wait a while and it will disappear again. I fully admit washing walls is farther down my list of household chores I engage in than washing windows. And dusting. But when forced to wash walls so that pink paint will stick to them, and looking into the hallway at the no-way-did-anyone-pay-money-for-that-color-and-the-walls-did-not-look-like-that-when-we-moved-in walls, I can be found to wash walls instead of painting (that didn't get going until after 10:00 later that night). I spent an afternoon magically turning my walls from black to white and the water in my bucket from clear to...not. And when I was done, my disbelieving eyes told my disillusioned brain that our walls looked great. Like they had just been painted. Better, even, than the freshly painted pink bathroom.

(Duncan's reaction the next morning, as he tried to walk past the bathroom, was stop in the hallway, his face awash in the pink glow, and say, "Whoa.")

2 comments:

  1. Shell wasn't even awake Sunday morning when Jonathon came out of his room and met me in the hallway in front of the (molten) bathroom. The sun had just come up, and was striking the bathroom window with full force, making the room many times brighter than it had been the night before in the artificial light. He just stood in the doorway and looked at it quietly, and then looked at me, just as quietly, with a questioning look on his face.
    "Your mom picked the color. It was supposed to be coral," I said.
    "It's pink. It's really pink," was his reply.
    "It wasn't supposed to be pink. She had picked coral. It just came out like this."
    He was quiet for another second, looking at the room, then he looked at me and, smiling, said "She knows it glows, right?"
    We both made it downstairs before our laughing woke up the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pick the color you want and then you go down one or two colors on the paint chip. Also paint the ceiling at 1/4 strength, when you are done it will blend in and look the same. You do that because the ceiling will "come down on you" if you paint it full strength.

    So, how bad is it? I can come over and we can faux paint on top of it and fix it that way or we can just paint over it. To faux paint we would only need a small amount of paint so you wouldn't have to buy a whole gallon again.

    That painting class I took taught me a lot...but I still pick the wrong color too. It's the sucks.

    Remind me to ask you how to wash walls. We need that over here too.

    ReplyDelete