Friday, August 14, 2009

battle of the sexes

A few days ago I was babysitting for a friend whose youngest happens to be exactly four months younger than my youngest. Needless to say, they've grown up together and fluctuate between a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship and a brother/sister relationship. I'm not certain which is more volatile.

We went to the park, but it was too crazy hot to stay for long, so we came home after only a short time. On the way back, they found a a dead worm on the sidewalk. The two of them, not realizing the worm was already dead, discussed its fate until I told them to hurry up and keep walking.

Kaes (to Ben): You killed the worm?! Don't you care about the entire planet?

Ben mutters incoherently until Kaes catches up to me: Mom, are worms helpful?

Me: Yes, they are.

Kaes: Told you, Ben.

A few moments of complete silence while Ben looks like he wants to stick his tongue out at Kaes, but I'm watching, then:

Ben: When I grow up I'm going to be able to baptize, but you won't.

I think Ben may have won that round.

4 comments:

  1. I think that Ben THINKS that he won that round. In the cosmic sense of things, though, I am not ready to declare how this one will play out. Plus, I don't know, but it sounds kind of like a fall-back argument to me. He won the argument, but lost some ground to do it.
    This is going to be a fun relationship to watch as the years pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with mhambster. In a few years that arguement is just going to get him into a whole lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eve biting the apple so he could even BE ABLE to baptize is the trump card on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that they can talk to eachother like this AT ALL shows that the relationship will at least be interesting! Going from 'caring about the world' to saving people's souls -- it's all just a tad too much for me. It does, however make life entertaining to watch - or jus t Kaes and Ben anyway.

    ReplyDelete